Kent State edges Western Carolina 74-72Feb 21, 2010 - 4:04 AM KENT, Ohio(AP) -- Justin Greene scored 21 points and Kent State held off Western Carolina 74-72 on Saturday night.
Tyree Evans added 14 points, and Chris Singletary and Rodriguez Sherman each had 11 for the Golden Flashes (20-8), who have won two games in a row and eight of their past 10.
Kent survived an 8-3 run in the final minute to preserve the win. Trailing 71-64 with 51 seconds to play, the Catamounts' Jake Robinson hit a 3-pointer to cut the lead to 72-70 with 7 seconds to go. Greene pushed the lead to 74-70 with two free throws before the Catamounts' Richie Gordon closed out the scoring with a layup with 2 seconds remaining.
Gordon had 16 points, and Brandon Giles and Mike Williams each added 11 for the Catamounts (19-8), who lost their second game in a row and fifth in the past six games.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 72
KENT ST 74 FINAL
Feb 20 10:11 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 33
KENT ST 34 HALFTIME
Feb 20 9:05 PM
- Oubre shines as Kansas tops Kent St. Dec 30
- Kent State tangles with No. 13 Kansas Dec 30
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4
- Davidson takes home Southern Conference title Mar 6
- SoCon title tilt pits Catamounts against Wildcats Mar 5