Vasquez scores 30, Maryland beats Virginia 85-66Feb 16, 2010 - 3:07 AM By DAVID GINSBURG AP Sports Writer
COLLEGE PARK, Md.(AP) -- Greivis Vasquez scored 25 of his 30 points in the first half, and Maryland beat Virginia 85-66 Monday night for its sixth straight home victory.
Vasquez went 10 for 13 from the floor and made all four free throws to put the Terrapins up 52-34 at halftime. The senior guard finished 12 for 19, and the 30 points matched his season high.
Maryland (17-7, 7-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) shot an astounding 70 percent (21 for 30) from the floor in the pivotal first half.
The Cavaliers (14-9, 5-5) came in allowing 61 points per game, lowest in the ACC and 31st in the nation. They yielded their most points in any half this season and the most in any game.
Jeff Jones and Mike Scott each scored 16 for Virginia. It was the most lopsided defeat of the year for the Cavaliers, who have dropped three straight and five of seven.
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Top-seeded Kansas expects battle from No. 5 Maryland Mar 24
- Maryland assumes underdog role against top-seeded Kansas Mar 22
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20