Cole lifts Cleveland St. past Loyola (Ill.) 80-66Mar 3, 2010 - 3:04 AM CLEVELAND(AP) -- Norris Cole scored 15 points, dished out 11 assists and had four steals to lead Cleveland State to an 80-66 win over Loyola of Chicago on Tuesday night in the first round of the Horizon League tournament.
Aaron Pogue finished with 13 points and seven rebounds for the fifth-seeded Vikings (16-16), the defending tournament champions. Cleveland State will play either Illinois-Chicago or Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the second round.
Jeremy Montgomery scored 11 points and D'Aundray Brown added 10 for Cleveland State.
The Vikings didn't have much trouble with the eighth-seeded Ramblers (14-16), building a 42-22 lead with 2:12 left in the first half on a layup by Anthony Wells.
Walt Gibler's two free throws trimmed Cleveland State's lead to 57-52 with 8 minutes to play. But the Vikings answered with seven straight points to extend Loyola's losing streak to five games.
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1
- Loyola beats ULM in CBI opener Mar 30
- Warhawks and Ramblers clash in CBI championship series Mar 30
- Northern Iowa downs Loyola to reach MVC final Mar 7
- MVC semifinals pits Panthers against Ramblers Mar 7
- No. 11 UNI rolls past Loyola of Chicago Feb 18
- Ramblers welcome 11th-ranked Panthers to town Feb 18
- VanVleet powers Wichita State past Loyola-Chicago Jan 28
- Ramblers seek upset of 12th-ranked Shockers Jan 28
- Shockers pull away from Loyola-Chicago in 2nd half Jan 11
- Shockers and Ramblers mix it up in MVC action Jan 11