Detroit wins at Valparaiso 89-82Mar 3, 2010 - 3:50 AM VALPARAISO, Ind.(AP) -- Chase Simon scored 24 points and Eli Holman had 21 points and 15 rebounds to lead Detroit past Valparaiso 89-82 in the first round of the Horizon League tournament Tuesday night.
Xavier Keeling added 14 points and eight rebounds for the Titans (19-13), who will face Wisconsin-Green Bay in a second-round game Friday night in Indianapolis. Wisconsin-Green Bay (21-11) defeated Youngstown State 81-67 on Tuesday.
Eulis Stephens scored 11 points for Detroit, which shot 56 percent from the field - 61 percent in the second half - and outrebounded Valparaiso 46-31.
Cory Johnson scored 24 points and Brandon Wood 23 for Valparaiso (15-17). Brandon McPherson had 11 points and five assists for the Crusaders. Johnson had four of Valparaiso's 10 3-pointers.
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Wichita State rallies past Detroit Dec 13
- Titans seek upset of 11th-ranked Shockers Dec 13
- No. 24 Michigan pulls away to beat Detroit Nov 20
- Intrastate rivals collide, as Titans visit Wolverines Nov 20
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18