Mercer upsets Belmont 87-81 in A-Sun tournamentMar 5, 2010 - 5:12 AM MACON, Ga.(AP) -- Danny Emerson's three-point play with 5:26 remaining capped a second-half comeback and Mercer defeated Belmont 87-81 Thursday night in the Atlantic Sun Conference tournament quarterfinals.
Sixth-seeded Mercer (15-16) plays Jacksonville on Friday night in the semifinals.
Belmont, the third seed, held a double-digit lead most of the game and was ahead by 10 with 13:28 left when Mercer started its rally.
Jeff Smith's 3-pointer gave Mercer its first lead with 4:15 remaining. Belmont pulled to within one a minute later, but the Bears were able to hold off the Bruins.
Belmont led by 14 points in the first half, thanks to a 5-for-5 start in 3-point shots.
Emerson, who missed the regular-season finale with an eye injury, started and scored 19 points with nine rebounds. James Florence led Mercer with 24.
Ian Clark led Belmont (19-12) with 19.
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8