James Madison defeats Drexel 77-65Mar 6, 2010 - 4:11 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Denzel Bowles scored 15 of his 22 points in the second half and 11th-seeded James Madison upset Drexel 77-65 on Friday night in the first round of the Colonial Athletic Association tournament.
The Dukes (13-19) will play third-seeded William & Mary in Saturday's quarterfinals.
James Madison's Pierre Curtis had seven straight points to ignite an 11-4 run to end the first half. The Dukes took a 33-27 halftime lead behind Curtis' 15 points.
The Dragons (16-16) shot 29 percent from the floor, missing 9 of their final 10 shots, while allowing the Dukes to shoot 47.8 percent.
Bowles scored six points in the first 3:05 of the second half, sparking a James Madison spurt which ended with the Dukes leading 41-31.
The Dukes sealed the win by hitting 10 of 12 free throws in the final 3:06.
Curtis finished with 19 points and Julius Wells had 18.
- James Madison hires alum Louis Rowe as men's hoops coach Mar 31
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Matt Brady out at James Madison as men's basketball coach Mar 14
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- Lee transfers to Louisville Apr 23
- Buckeyes beat up on Dukes Nov 28
- Virginia cruises past JMU in opener Nov 15
- Instate foes collide as Cavs take on Dukes Nov 14
- Drexel can't hold early lead, falls to No. 4 Arizona Nov 27
- Wildcats set sights on Dragons in NIT Season Tip-Off Nov 27
- UCLA wins opener over Drexel Nov 9
- Virginia takes care of James Madison Nov 9