Western Carolina beats Elon 68-57, moves to semisMar 6, 2010 - 9:18 PM CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- Richie Gordon had 16 points and eight rebounds and Western Carolina beat Elon 68-57 on Saturday in the quarterfinals of the Southern Conference tournament.
The Catamounts (22-10) took control with an 18-0 run midway through the first half, holding Elon scoreless for a span of 8:12. That spurt turned a 15-11 deficit into a 29-15 lead, and Elon never got closer than five points the rest of the way.
Harouna Mutombo added 14 points, Mike Williams 13 and Jake Robinson 10 for Western Carolina, which advanced to Sunday's semifinals against the winner of Wofford and UNC-Greensboro.
The Catamounts outrebounded the Phoenix 44-25.
Elon (9-23), which upset Davidson in the opening round, got 15 points from Chris Long, 13 from Drew Spradlin and 12 from T.J. Douglas. The Phoenix shot just 30 percent from the field, and 11 of their 15 made field goals came from 3-point range.
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13