VCU defeats George Mason 75-60 in CAA quarterfinalMar 6, 2010 - 10:06 PM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Brandon Rozzell's three consecutive 3-pointers fueled a late Virginia Commonwealth spurt Saturday and the Rams went on to topple George Mason 75-60 in the quarterfinals of the Colonial Athletic Association tournament.
The Rams (22-8) face archrival Old Dominion in the semifinals Sunday.
The teams split their regular-season games, each winning at home.
With the Patriots (17-14) ahead 53-51 with 7:23 left, Ed Nixon tied the game with a floater in the paint. Rozzell connected from outside on the Rams' next three possessions to give Virginia Commonwealth a lead it never lost. Joey Rodriguez capped the 12-2 rally with three foul shots.
Larry Sanders had his 12th double-double of the season for the Rams with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
Ryan Pearson led the Patriots with a career-high 22 points on 10-of-12 shooting, while leading scorer Cam Long had only four points.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- George Mason senior Patrick Holloway suspended for 6 games Nov 10
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10