Jones leads South Florida past DePaul in Big EastMar 9, 2010 - 7:31 PM By MIKE FITZPATRICK AP Sports Writer
NEW YORK(AP) -- Dominique Jones had 20 points and nine rebounds, and South Florida beat DePaul 58-49 in the Big East tournament opener Tuesday for its fourth straight victory.
Mike Mercer added 14 points for the ninth-seeded Bulls (20-11), who hope a strong showing this week could propel them into an NCAA tournament field already sure to be flush with Big East regulars.
It was the first Big East tournament victory in two appearances for South Florida since joining the league in 2005-06.
Next up, the Bulls face No. 22 Georgetown in the early game Wednesday. South Florida stunned the then-No. 7 Hoyas 72-64 on the road Feb. 3, a loss that was sandwiched between big wins for Georgetown over Duke and Villanova.
Will Walker scored 20 points to lead DePaul (8-23), which lost its final 13 games.
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Leitao back as DePaul coach Mar 29
- Purnell resigns as DePaul head coach Mar 15
- Dunham, Butler top reeling DePaul Feb 28
- Big East brawl pits Bulldogs against Blue Demons Feb 28
- No. 22 Butler hangs on to beat DePaul Feb 7
- Bulldogs host Blue Demons in Big East brawl Feb 7
- Arcidiacono's strong second half lifts 'Nova past DePaul Jan 31
- DePaul entertains No. 7 Villanova Jan 31
- DePaul takes down Seton Hall Jan 23
- Pirates and Blue Demons meet in Big East brawl Jan 22