Stephen F. Austin defeats Texas-Arlington, 77-54Mar 10, 2010 - 10:44 PM KATY, Texas(AP) -- Eddie Williams scored 22 points to lead Stephen F. Austin to a 77-54 victory over Texas-Arlington in the first round of the Southland Conference tournament Wednesday.
Orren Tims came off the bench to add 17 points for the Lumberjacks (22-8), who never trailed and will play Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in the semifinals Thursday.
Marquez Haynes, the Southland Player of the Year, led the Mavericks (16-14) with 17 points.
After trailing 33-20 at halftime, Texas-Arlington pulled to within 10 points, but Williams later drilled three straight 3-pointers to give Stephen F. Austin a 52-27 lead. Williams was 5 of 7 from 3-point range.
Stephen F. Austin, the defending tournament champion, led 29-9 early due largely to Tims, who came in after starting center Jereal Scott got into early foul trouble. Tims had 15 points at halftime.
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- Poeltl helps Utah down Stephen F. Austin Mar 20
- Utes face Lumberjacks in second round Mar 19
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- Longhorns fend off Texas-Arlington Dec 3
- Mavericks face tall task in meeting with Longhorns Dec 2
- No. 1 Kentucky routs UT-Arlington 92-44 Nov 26
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 25
- UCLA tops Stephen F. Austin for Sweet 16 berth Mar 23
- Lumberjacks face tall task in clash with Bruins Mar 23