Texas A&M-Corpus Christi knocks out UTSA 78-66Mar 10, 2010 - 10:56 PM KATY, Texas(AP) -- Kevin Palmer scored 26 points, including 18 in the second half, and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi defeated UTSA 78-66 in the first round of the Southland Conference tournament Wednesday.
LaMarr Drake and Shamar Coombs each added 11 points for the third-seeded Islanders (17-14), who will play No. 2 seed Stephen F. Austin in the semifinals Thursday. Justin Reynolds had 10 points and nine rebounds.
Morris Smith IV finished with 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead the sixth-seeded Roadrunners (19-11). Omar Johnson scored 13 points and Terry Fields added 10.
After trailing 41-31 at halftime, the Islanders went on a 14-0 run that gave them a 52-47 lead with nine minutes remaining.
Corpus Christi outscored UTSA 44-24 in the paint.
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- Turner helps Aggies down Islanders Nov 26
- No.25 Aggies host Islanders in College Station Nov 26
- Ohio State cruises in NCAA tourney opener Mar 18
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Texas-San Antonio captures Southland title Mar 12
- No. 16 Memphis edges Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Dec 21
- Jayhawks cruise to school-record 63rd consecutive home win Nov 23