Stanford upsets Arizona State 70-61 in Pac-10Mar 12, 2010 - 6:53 AM By BETH HARRIS AP Sports Writer
LOS ANGELES(AP) -- Jeremy Green scored 18 points, Landry Fields added 17 and Stanford surprised second-seeded Arizona State 70-61 in the Pac-10 Conference tournament quarterfinals Thursday night.
The No. 7 Cardinal (14-17) advanced to Friday's semifinals against third-seeded Washington, which beat No. 6 Oregon State 59-52.
Arizona State (22-10) swept the Cardinal during the regular season for the first time since 2004-05. But on Thursday the Sun Devils led just once - by one point early in the second half. Rihards Kuksiks scored 15 points, all in the first half, before he fouled out in the closing seconds.
Stanford immediately grabbed the lead back for good, running up a 15-point advantage on a 3-pointer by Fields with 11:43 remaining. It capped eight straight points by the first-team All-Pac-10 senior.
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- Pickens helps Stanford beat Carroll College 83-38 Dec 28
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18