Morgan State defeats North Carolina A&T 84-57Mar 11, 2010 - 3:25 AM WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.(AP) -- Kevin Thompson scored 20 points, grabbed 16 rebounds and dished out six assists to lead Morgan State past North Carolina A&T 84-57 on Wednesday night in quarterfinals of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament.
Thompson, ranked fourth in the nation with 12 rebounds per game, helped the Bears (25-9) beat the Aggies on the boards 43-26.
Morgan State, the No. 1 seed, shot 53.9 percent from the field (34 of 63), while North Carolina A&T hit 37.2 percent of its shots (19 of 51).
The ninth-seeded Aggies (11-22), who trailed 46-22 at halftime, hit just 27 percent of their 3-point attempts (6 of 22).
Morgan State's all-time leading scorer Reggie Holmes (2,011 points) and Troy Smith each added 17 points for the Bears, who will face either Norfolk State or Hampton in the semifinals on Friday.
Nic Simpson scored 17 and Tavarus Alston 11 for North Carolina A&T.
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17
- Hapless Aggies challenge mighty Buckeyes Dec 17
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- Top-seeded Louisville cruises past N.C. A&T Mar 21
- Top-seeded Cardinals get tournament run underway against Aggies Mar 20
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19