Gauchos surprise cold-shooting UNLVDec 16, 2010 - 5:56 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - James Nunnally scored a game-high 23 points to go with seven rebounds, as UC Santa Barbara stunned the cold-shooting, 22nd-ranked UNLV Runnin' Rebels, 68-62, at the Thomas & Mack Center.
Jaime Serna and Orlando Johnson each posted 12 points and Johnson also grabbed 15 rebounds for the Gauchos (5-3), who have won three straight.
Chace Stanback led UNLV (9-2) with 16 points and Tre'Von Willis added 14 points. The duo pulled down eight and seven rebounds, respectively, but combined to make just 9-of-28 shots from the floor. The Rebels made just 29 percent of their shots in a second consecutive loss.
Neither team jumped out in the first half, leading to a 30-30 stalemate as the teams went to the locker room.
The Gauchos, leading 40-39, ran off eight straight points to take control, especially with the Rebels having trouble finding their stroke. Nunnally's trey capped the stretch for a nine-point lead with just under 14 1/2 minutes to go.
Oscar Bellfield's three brought the home team within 50-45 with just under 12 minutes to play, but back-to-back layups for the visitors a little later extended the margin to double digits at 56-46.
Willis and Bellfield drained back-to-back treys to make it a four-point game, and after two Gauchos free throws, Derrick Jasper converted from in close with just under four minutes showing.
Jasper converted on 1-of-2 foul shots moments later for a one-possession game, and Willis calmly sank two shots from the charity stripe to bring the Rebels within one.
However, Johnson made a pair of foul shots, then after a UNLV turnover, Serna drained a mid-range jumper for a five-point edge. Another empty trip for the Rebels and a pair of Nunnally free throws iced the outcome with 1:18 to play.
The Rebels were just 6-of-29 from beyond the arc, including a 4-of-17 effort from two of their sharpshooters, Stanback and Willis...The Gauchos shot 50 percent for the game and made 9-of-19 from beyond the arc...UNLV grabbed 24 offensive rebounds, a stunning 19 more than its opposition, and got to the foul line 34 times, yet made just 20 and failed to capitalize on its second and third chances...UNLV still leads the all-time series, 29-9.
- UC SANTA BARBARA: 68
Dec 16 12:11 AM
- UC SANTA BARBARA: 30
Dec 15 10:50 PM
- UC SANTA BARBARA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 15 10:09 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Okonoboh asks for release from UNLV Nov 27