BYU downs Weber StateDec 22, 2010 - 8:07 AM Ogden, UT (Sports Network) - Jimmer Fredette led all scorers with 28 points as No. 23 BYU narrowly escaped with an intrastate road win against Weber State, 72-66, at Dee Events Center.
Brandon Davies added 10 points and eight rebounds for the Cougars (11-1), who bounced back from their first loss of the season to UCLA on December 18.
"It was a great game and I thought our guys really competed hard," BYU head coach Dave Rose said. "Tonight was all about effort and desire to win from both teams, and our guys willed themselves to win."
Scott Bamforth posted 17 points for Weber State (6-5), which have dropped two of their last three. Kyle Bullinger added a double-double with 12 points and 13 boards, while Lindsey Hughey netted 15 points in the loss.
With the teams off to a slow start, BYU took its first lead, 9-7, over five minutes in when Charles Abouo made a jumper. A few minutes later, Chris Collinsworth jumper started a 15-5 run with a pair of free throws. Jackson Emery capped the burst with a three-pointer for a 28-14 margin with over six minutes remaining.
Noah Hartsock's jumper made it a 35-20 game with 2 1/2 minutes left in the first. It was 35-23 at the break.
Weber State fought back in the second half and had its deficit down to five, 58-53, on a Bullinger three-pointer with under eight minutes to play.
The Wildcats continued to claw their way back after Bamforth made a trey to make it a 67-63 game with 2 1/2 minutes left. BYU, however, was able to make 3-of-4 free throws to keep Weber State at bay.
The Cougars lead the all-time series by a 26-10 margin...Both teams struggled with their shooting. BYU shot 37.3 percent from the field, while Weber State made 37.9.
- BYU: 72
WEBER STATE: 66
Dec 21 11:01 PM
- BYU: 35
WEBER STATE: 23
Dec 21 9:53 PM
- BYU: 0
WEBER STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 9:12 PM
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11