Hamilton, Texas rout Coppin StateDec 31, 2010 - 10:32 PM Austin, TX (Sports Network) - Jordan Hamilton scored 24 points and grabbed seven rebounds to help 13th-ranked Texas beat Coppin State, 95-75, at the Frank Erwin Center.
Tristan Thompson added a career-high 22 points with nine boards for the Longhorns (11-2), who extended their winning streak to five games.
Texas also got double-digit scoring efforts from J'Covan Brown (17), Cory Joseph (13) and Gary Johnson (10).
Tony Gallo scored 20 of his 22 points in the second half for the Eagles (4-7), who wrapped up a brutal stretch of four straight road contests.
Coppin State was dealt a 91-61 loss at Kentucky on Tuesday after losses to Connecticut on December 20 and Wisconsin on December 23.
Michael Harper, who missed the game against Kentucky due to the flu, finished with 18 points, 15 of which came in the opening 20 minutes.
"We wanted to start off and get Texas into shooting jump shots," said Coppin State head coach Ron Mitchell. "I think early in the game we were successful, but their physical presence just wore us out as the game progressed."
Down 41-28 at the break, Coppin State went on 14-5 run to begin the second half, closing the gap to 46-42. Gallo then nailed a three-pointer while getting fouled, and his free throw tied the game at 52 with just under 13 minutes remaining.
Texas responded with eight straight points and consecutive three-pointers by Joseph and Hamilton extended the Longhorns' lead to 74-56. The outcome was never in doubt the rest of the way.
"(Coppin State) has always been a tough, hard-nosed team. They're going to play hard, and they're going to battle," said Texas head coach Rick Barnes.
Playing for the first time in nine days, Texas raced out to a 16-3 lead. Hamilton knocked down a trey to increase the margin to 34-18 with a little less than five minutes to play in the first half.
Texas notched its 26th consecutive home win over a non-conference opponent...Brown recorded six assists and Johnson had seven rebounds...Akeem Ellis netted 13 points for Coppin State, which shot 13-of-27 from three-point range...Texas outrebounded Coppin State 47-17 and outscored the Eagles 32-18 in the paint...The Longhorns shot 50.8 percent from the field and also made 13 three-pointers.
- COPPIN STATE: 75
Dec 31 3:57 PM
- COPPIN STATE: 28
Dec 31 2:50 PM
- COPPIN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 2:05 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12
- Texas loses center Cameron Ridley to broken left foot Dec 28