Texas surges past Texas StateDec 12, 2010 - 12:22 AM Austin, TX (Sports Network) - Cory Joseph notched 19 points as 25th-ranked Texas used a late first-half surge to down Texas State, 101-65, at Frank Erwin Center.
J'Covan Brown had 18 points and Jordan Hamilton added 16 points with 10 rebounds for the Longhorns (7-2), who recovered from a 17-point loss at USC on Sunday to win for the fourth time in five outings.
Tony Bishop recorded 12 points with eight boards for the Bobcats (2-5), who have lost four in a row. Cameron Johnson also contributed 12 points in defeat.
The visitors kept the game close early on, and were within 20-18 midway through the opening 20 minutes after Travis Jones hit consecutive treys, but Texas used a 19-6 run until the buzzer to get separation.
Hamilton connected from long distance to start the burst, then Brown hit a three and Tristan Thompson added a three-point play. Joseph's jumper capped it and the Longhorns led 39-24 at halftime.
Joseph's two treys within the first two-plus minutes of the second half helped Texas go up 50-31, then Alexis Wangmene's tip-in made it a 20-point contest at 54-34 and the home team began to roll.
Jai Lucas finished off a three-point play with 8:48 remaining and Texas breached the 30-point barrier at 80-48, then Thompson hit free throws inside the final three minutes to expand the edge to 36.
Texas has won 40 of the 45 all-time meetings...Thompson and Gary Johnson each posted 14 points for the Longhorns...Jones finished with nine points for TSU...Texas connected on 11-of-19 from beyond the arc.
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12
- Texas loses center Cameron Ridley to broken left foot Dec 28