Leonard leads Aztecs past IUPUINov 22, 2010 - 1:11 AM Oxford, OH (Sports Network) - Kawhi Leonard posted game-highs of 20 points and 10 rebounds, and No. 25 San Diego State fended off IUPUI, 61-46, as part of the sub-regional of the CBE Classic.
Billy White added 14 points and made consecutive buckets to cap a 15-0 spurt midway through the second half that erased a three-point deficit, helping the Aztecs (4-0) stay perfect on the young season.
Mitchell Patton and Alex Young each scored 12 points for the Jaguars (1-3), who were coming off a one-point loss to Miami-Ohio on Saturday.
SDSU recovered from a slow start to beat Wisconsin-Green Bay on Saturday and again had to come from behind against the Jags.
IUPUI led by as many as seven in the first half and took 23-20 advantage into the break.
Young's putback of a Greg Rice miss had the Jaguars on top, 36-33, with a little over 13 minutes to play.
That was when the Aztecs turned it on. James Rahon made a jumper and a three- pointer on consecutive possessions to jump-start the game-altering 15-0 flurry.
Leonard added a make from long range and Chase Tapley converted a three-point play prior to White's two buckets with 9 1/2 minutes remaining.
Patton's layup two minutes later cut the deficit to eight, 48-40, but White and Leonard combined for the next 10 points, with Leonard's three-pointer resulting in an insurmountable 58-40 cushion with three minutes left.
IUPUI turned the ball over 17 times, leading to 25 SDSU points...The Aztecs shot 50.0 percent from the field, compared to the Jaguars' 41.7 percent effort...San Diego State had 15 second-chance points, nine more than the opposition.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 61
Nov 21 7:16 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 20
Nov 21 6:16 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 21 5:37 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- Werner, N. Dakota St. beat IUPUI in Summit tourney quarters Mar 6
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21