No. 10 Syracuse survives scare from William & MaryNov 21, 2010 - 11:56 PM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Kris Joseph led all scorers with 18 points, and No. 10 Syracuse edged William & Mary 63-60 in a squeaker at the Carrier Dome.
Rick Jackson and Scoop Jardine added 11 points apiece for the Orange (4-0), who were coming off three consecutive double-digit wins to open the season.
Marcus Kitts and Quinn McDowell both scored 16 points for the Tribe (0-3), who coughed up a lead in the last three minutes of the game and failed to pull off what would have been a shocking victory in the Legends Classic.
The first-ever meeting between the teams was not the lopsided contest it was expected to be.
William & Mary survived deficits of 12-2 and 20-9 in the first half to pull within 32-30 at intermission after Matt Rum drained a three-pointer with just over a minute remaining.
Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim wasn't happy with his team's effort near the end of the half.
"We made a couple of defensive mistakes and offensively we just didn't do anything," said Boeheim.
It was tighter down the stretch than he would have liked as Boeheim's team struggled against William & Mary's zone defense.
The Tribe had a 60-56 lead with 3:06 remaining after a Kitts dunk, but Syracuse went on to score the final seven points of the game to earn the win.
Jardine sparked the rally on a layup with just over 2 1/2 minutes to play and then found Joseph for an easy basket 21 seconds later to tie the game. William & Mary called a timeout, but it didn't stop the bleeding.
The final three Syracuse points came on free throws, icing the win.
Syracuse started its season with double-digit home wins over Northern Iowa (68-46), Canisius (86-67) and Detroit (66-55)...The Tribe played their third straight road game to open the season. They dropped double-digit decisions to both Virginia (76-52) and Richmond (73-49) in the first two.
- WILLIAM & MARY: 60
Nov 21 4:00 PM
- WILLIAM & MARY: 30
Nov 21 2:53 PM
- WILLIAM & MARY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 21 2:08 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25