Michigan State survives scare from ChaminadeNov 23, 2010 - 6:04 AM Maui, HI (Sports Network) - Kalin Lucas scored a career-high 28 points, and second-ranked Michigan State survived an 82-74 scare from Division II foe Chaminade in the opening round of the Maui Invitational.
Korie Lucious added 13 points off the bench for the Spartans (3-0), who won this tournament in 1991. Draymond Green tallied 10 points and 10 rebounds.
Michigan State will face Connecticut in the semifinals on Tuesday. The Huskies beat Wichita State, 83-79, earlier Monday.
Steven Bennett finished with 20 points and 10 assists for the Silverswords (3-1), who were facing their highest-ranked opponent since their famous upset of No. 1 Virginia in 1982.
Mamadou Diarra chipped in with 16 points and 11 rebounds for Chaminade, which got 15 points from Shane Hanson.
The Silverswords will take on the Shockers on Tuesday.
Hanson made a pair of three-pointers early in the second half to give Chaminade a 45-43 lead.
The margin was 53-50 after Bennett made a free throw with 14:34 to play. Michigan State then took control of the game with a 15-0 run. Lucas ended the burst with a layup to give the Spartans a 65-53 advantage with 11:20 left.
The Silverswords never got closer than seven the rest of the way.
Chaminade proved everyone wrong by hanging with the Spartans in the first half. Trailing by one, 17-16, the Silverswords went on 13-4 run to take the lead. Bennett had seven points to begin the burst, which Hanson capped with a trey for a 29-21 advantage.
Diarra's slam gave Chaminade a 33-25 edge with 6:44 left in the first half. Lucas responded with a jumper and layup to cut the deficit to four.
Lucas bookended a 6-0 flurry with a pair of jumpers to give Michigan State a 39-37 lead with 2:02 to go. DeAndre Haskins made a jumper to make it a 39-39 game at the break.
Michigan State leads the all-time series with Chaminade, 3-0...The Spartans shot 51.7 percent from the field, while the Silverswords made 46.6 percent of their shots...Michigan State improved to 7-3 all-time in this event...The Spartans have an all-time record of 88-25 in games played in the month of November.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 82
Nov 22 11:37 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 39
Nov 22 10:24 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 22 9:34 PM
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Ex-basketball star Mateen Cleaves charged with sex assault Mar 15
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15
- Michigan State's Tom Izzo may have a day beyond his dreams Mar 14
- Forbes has proven to be pivotal player for No. 2 Michigan St Mar 7
- Denzel Valentine draws comparisons to Michigan State greats Mar 4
- Michigan State's Kenny Goins out 2-4 weeks with knee injury Feb 16