Walker, Florida drop AmericanDec 5, 2010 - 11:44 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Erving Walker scored 16 points behind 4-of-6 shooting from three-point range, as No. 18 Florida handled American, 67-48, at Verizon Center.
Chandler Parsons contributed 13 points and eight rebounds, while Alex Tyus and Vernon Macklin chipped in 14 and 12 points, respectively, for the Gators (6-2), who were coming off a loss to UCF on Wednesday.
Troy Brewer paced the Eagles (5-3) with 17 points in defeat, the team's third straight.
Both leading scorers struggled throughout the game. Florida's Kenny Boynton was held scoreless on 0-for-9 shooting, while Vlad Moldoveanu made just 5- of-16 from the field en route to a 14-point effort.
Their performances resulted in a close game early on. Florida led 22-19 with five minutes left in the first half before Erik Murphy extended the margin with a three-point play and a jumper on consecutive possessions.
The Gators were on top 30-21 at the break, and Tyus put in a pair of buckets around a Walker three-pointer to open the second-half scoring.
American pulled within 50-42 on a Brewer layup with just over eight minutes on the clock. At the other end, Parsons pulled down an offensive rebound and was fouled, making the first attempt and missing the second. American didn't block out the shooter, though, and Parsons went in, corralled his own rebound and put in an easy deuce to make it a double-digit game again.
The Eagles made just three field goals the rest of the way.
The game was part of the BB&T Classic...Florida leads the all-time series, 3-0...Boynton came in averaging 14.6 points per game...The Eagles shot 43.2 percent overall, compared to Florida's 49.0 percent effort.
- AMERICAN: 67
Dec 5 4:29 PM
- AMERICAN: 30
Dec 5 3:27 PM
- AMERICAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 5 2:46 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18