Jacksonville beats No. 20 Florida in OTDec 20, 2010 - 9:39 PM Gainesville, FL (Sports Network) - Ayron Hardy tied the game late regulation with a dunk and Keith McDougald made four key free throws in overtime to help Jacksonville knock off 20th-ranked Florida, 71-68, at the O'Connell Center.
McDougald scored 18 points and Hardy added 12 with eight rebounds and five assists for the Dolphins (7-3), who snapped a two-game losing streak.
Jacksonville had lost 12 in a row to ranked opponents, with the last win coming against Florida on December 21, 1994.
Erving Walker netted a game-high 21 points for the Gators (8-3), who were coming off a victory over nationally-ranked Kansas State on Saturday.
Vernon Macklin and Alex Tyus both had a double-double in the losing effort. Macklin finished with 13 points and 10 rebounds, while Tyus totaled 10 points and 11 boards.
Walker drained a three-pointer to give Florida a 56-49 lead with just under seven minutes left in the second half. Jacksonville, though, scored seven unanswered points to pull even on Hardy's layup with 4:04 left.
Tyus made 1-of-2 free throws to push the Gators' lead to 61-58 with 2:04 showing on the clock.
Jacksonville's Delwan Graham was then fouled and sank his first attempt from the foul line before missing the second. After his teammate Glenn Powell committed a turnover, Hardy stole the ball and converted the dunk, tying the game at 61 with 18 seconds remaining.
Walker missed a jumper to send the game to overtime.
In the extra session, the teams went back-and-forth until Graham hit a jumper and McDougald sank two free throws to make it 69-66. Chandler Parsons answered with a layup for Florida, but McDougald made another pair at the charity stripe to seal the win.
Jacksonville led 29-27 at halftime.
Russell Powell contributed 13 points in the win...Graham had 10 points and eight rebounds...Florida shot just 35.6 percent from the field...The Gators suffered their first loss in 24 games against the Atlantic Sun Conference under head coach Billy Donovan.
- JACKSONVILLE: 71
Final - OT
Dec 20 3:26 PM
- JACKSONVILLE: 61
End of Regulation
Dec 20 3:09 PM
- JACKSONVILLE: 29
Dec 20 1:52 PM
- JACKSONVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 20 1:07 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29