Southern Miss downs UCF behind balanced attackJan 16, 2011 - 1:10 AM Hattiesburg, MS (Sports Network) - R.L. Horton notched 18 points and six rebounds as Southern Miss sent No. 23 UCF to a second straight loss, 86-69, at Reed Green Coliseum.
D.J. Newbill had 17 points and nine boards for the Golden Eagles (14-3, 3-1 C- USA), who were coming off an 81-78 overtime win against Rice on Wednesday. Maurice Bolden and Gary Flowers both scored 16 points in the win.
Marcus Jordan tallied a game-best 20 points for the Knights (14-2, 1-2), who have lost two straight after starting the season with a school-record 14 straight wins. Keith Clanton netted 14 points and hauled in seven rebounds in the loss.
UCF took the lead early in the second half on A.J. Rompza's three-pointer making it a 45-41 game.
However, with just over 11 minutes left in the game the Golden Eagles went on a decisive 15-2 run started by Bolden's jumper and ended with Horton's jump shot to put them up 70-55 with 7:23 left.
The home team never gave up the momentum and kept a double-digit lead the rest of the way.
The game started with a bang as Clanton made a three-point jumper and on the ensuing trip Josimar Ayarza had a thunderous dunk and was fouled by Tom Herzog. Ayarza then made the free throw.
The first half remained close, with Southern Miss getting the biggest lead 14-9, with just under 13 minutes remaining in the half thanks to Bolden's trey.
The half ended with a LaShay Page jumper with four seconds remaining to give Southern Miss a 36-35 lead at the half.
Southern Mississippi leads the series 5-3...The Golden Eagles shot a blistering 62.1 percent from the field in the second half. They ended the game making 51.6 percent of their shots...UCF was outrebounded, 37-27, and also turned the ball over 16 times.
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 69
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI: 86
Jan 15 6:56 PM
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 35
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI: 36
Jan 15 5:47 PM
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 0
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 15 5:07 PM
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- No. 13 Cincinnati sneaks past UCF Mar 14