No. 25 Xavier beats La Salle by 38Feb 23, 2011 - 5:26 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Jeff Robinson led a balanced attack with 22 points, as No. 25 Xavier handled La Salle, 100-62, at the Cintas Center.
Tu Holloway just missed a triple-double, finishing with 12 points, 15 assists and nine rebounds, while Mark Lyons chipped in 15 points off the bench for Xavier (21-6, 12-1 A-10), which has won six straight and 13 of its last 14 to sit atop the conference standings.
"The thing that sticks in my mind [is] 30 assists and 35 field goals. Jeff Robinson was as good as I've ever seen him. And Terrell [Holloway] was Terrell," Xavier head coach Chris Mack said.
Tyreek Duren had a team-high 18 points for La Salle (12-16, 4-9), which has dropped three in a row and five of six overall. Ruben Guillandeaux scored 16 points in a reserve role for the Explorers.
Xavier dominated this one right from the outset, building a 21-4 lead after a pair of Robinson free throws nearly eight minutes into the contest.
Duren drained two at the stripe for the Explorers before 17 straight by the Musketeers made it a 38-6 game with 9:15 before the half. Jamel McLean started and finished the burst with two free throws, then a layup. Lyons accounted for seven during the run with a three-pointer and pair of layups.
Duren's jumper beat the halftime buzzer, but La Salle trailed by an insurmountable 52-20 score heading into the locker room.
The second half was never in doubt, as Xavier held a healthy double-digit lead throughout.
The Musketeers have now won 39 consecutive conference home games, the most in A-10 history...Xavier has been victorious in 16 of the last 18 meetings against La Salle and leads the all-time series with a 31-6 mark...McLean ended with 12 points in the win.
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Arizona pulls away from Xavier to set up Elite Eight rematch Mar 27
- Arizona and Xavier collide in Sweet 16 Mar 26