Louisville eases past Morgan StateDec 28, 2010 - 7:34 AM Louisville, KY (Sports Network) - Preston Knowles scored 31 points, Kyle Kuric had 25 and No. 22 Louisville carried its 30-point halftime lead to the final buzzer in a 104-74 rout of Morgan State.
Kuric hit five three-pointers and scored 17 of his points in the first half for the Cardinals (11-1), who built a 58-28 lead after 20 minutes and went ahead by as many as 34 in the second half.
Knowles and Kuric combined to go 13-for-19 from three-point range in the game as Louisville earned its third straight win since being upset by Drexel on December 14.
"The old basketball cliche says that shooting cures a multitude of sins tonight," said Louisville head coach Rick Pitino, who wasn't pleased with his team's defense.
DeWayne Jackson scored 22 points to lead Morgan State (4-6), which has lost two straight games by a combined 72 points.
The Bears were coming off a 42-point setback to Syracuse on December 20.
"Have we had games like this? No, not since we have been here, especially not back-to-back," said Morgan State head coach Todd Bozeman. "We might have one here and there but you don't have them back-to-back. We just have one more of these monsters on our schedule which is Baylor. We just want to keep building and try to stay positive."
Louisville opened the game with a 12-2 run, bolstered by a trio of Kuric threes, and rarely led by fewer than 10 points after that.
The Cardinals' lead passed 20 points for the first time with 9:40 left in the first half when Knowles' three-pointer made it 35-14. It reached 30 twice in the final minute of the half.
Knowles was 3-for-4 from beyond the arc and scored 15 of his game-high 31 points in the opening half and Louisville shot 58 percent as a team.
Morgan State kept its deficit below 30 points for about 4 1/2 minutes near the beginning of the second half, but never seriously threatened.
Louisville went ahead by as many as 34 points when a Kuric three made it 77-43 with 12:58 remaining in the game.
He finished 7-of-10 from beyond the arc, while Knowles was 6-of-9. Terrence Jennings added 15 points in the win and Chris Smith scored 10.
Morgan State got 13 points from Aric Brooks and 10 from Kevin Thompson.
Louisville leads the all-time series 3-0...The Cardinals shot 59 percent for the game, while Morgan State shot 46 percent.
- MORGAN STATE: 74
Dec 27 9:59 PM
- MORGAN STATE: 28
Dec 27 8:54 PM
- MORGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 27 8:08 PM
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury Feb 12
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Feb 9
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations Feb 6
- Louisville men's basketball team coping with postseason ban Feb 6