San Diego State hangs on to down IUPUIDec 23, 2010 - 5:35 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Alex Young's shot at a tie didn't fall with just under 20 seconds left, and seventh-ranked San Diego State escaped IUPUI, 56-54, as part of the Las Vegas Hoops Classic.
Young led the Jaguars (5-8) with 19 points on 7-of-14 shooting, but it wasn't enough to overcome the defensive-minded Aztecs (14-0), who received 18 points from D.J. Gay and 12 points from Malcolm Thomas in the victory.
These two teams met as part of the CBE Classic earlier this season with the Aztecs taking a 61-46 decision.
The Jaguars hung around due in large part to San Diego State's outside shooting struggles. The Aztecs made just 3-of-20 shots from beyond the arc.
San Diego State rattled off seven straight points near the middle of the first half to open a 21-15 edge, but the Jaguars slugged right back, scoring 14 of the half's final 20 points to take a 29-27 lead into the locker room.
The Aztecs seemed to take complete control early in the second half, scoring 13 consecutive points to take a 47-34 lead on Billy White's slam in transition. IUPUI again responded, this time with eight points in row, the last six on a pair of Thomas' treys.
Tim Shelton's layup with just under six minutes to go handed the Aztecs a 56-46 lead, but those were the last points they scored. Young scored five of the next eight points, including a slam that brought the Jaguars within 56-54 with just under 1 1/2 minutes to play.
Young, however, missed on his chance at the tie in the closing seconds.
San Diego State's leading scorer, Kawhi Leonard, scored just seven points on 3-of-10 shooting...The Aztecs made 46.9 percent of their shots, while the Jaguars connected on 47.7 percent of their attempts.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 56
Dec 22 11:52 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 27
Dec 22 10:49 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 10:11 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- Werner, N. Dakota St. beat IUPUI in Summit tourney quarters Mar 6
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21