Saint Peter's marches on, tops Iona for MAAC titleMar 8, 2011 - 4:23 AM Bridgeport, CT (Sports Network) - Jeron Belin scored 17 points, and Saint Peter's fended off a late Iona rally to clinch the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference title with a 62-57 victory.
Nick Leon added 15 points and Wesley Jenkins had 14 for the fourth-seeded Peacocks (20-13), who nearly squandered a 13-point lead in the second half.
Saint Peter's captured its third tournament crown and first since 1995.
Mike Glover posted a game-high 23 points with 11 rebounds for the second- seeded Gaels (22-11), who entered the contest having won nine in a row.
The Peacocks led 47-34 after Belin hit a layup with seven minutes to play. Iona managed to trim its deficit to four at 56-52 with 45.3 seconds left, but Saint Peter's made all six of its free throws down the stretch.
Ryan Bacon had eight points and nine rebounds for Saint Peter's...Scott Machado supplied 15 points and six assists for the Gaels, who got 10 points and 10 boards from Rashon Dwight...Saint Peter's had lost both meetings between these two teams during the regular season. Iona posted a 70-52 victory at home in early January and then repeated the feat on the road in late February by a 73-59 final.
- ST. PETERS: 62
Mar 7 9:12 PM
- ST. PETERS: 26
Mar 7 7:46 PM
- ST. PETERS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 7 7:03 PM
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10
- Cluess given extension at Iona Mar 6