Wofford heads back to NCAA Tournament as SoCon champsMar 8, 2011 - 5:47 AM Chattanooga, TN (Sports Network) - Wofford is headed back to the NCAA Tournament as Southern Conference champions for the second straight year, upending College of Charleston, 77-67, behind 21 points from Cameron Rundles and 20 points and nine rebounds from Noah Dahlman.
Jamar Diggs ended with 17 points for the Terriers (21-12), who captured their first conference tournament crown last season before bowing out to Wisconsin in a hard-fought first-round game.
Andrew Goudelock finished with 25 points and Donavan Monroe had 19 for the Cougars (24-10), who have lost four conference title games since their last crown (1999).
Both teams tied for the regular season conference title, and Charleston won both meetings coming in, including a lopsided 79-54 decision on February 3, to earn the No. 1 seed.
Monday's meeting proved much different, with neither team leading by more than five in the first half. Monroe's late tip-in yielded a 32-28 lead for Charleston at the break.
The Cougars were up 52-50 before they went five minutes without a field goal midway through the second half. Wofford's subsequent 10-1 run, capped by two Terry Martin free throws, gave the Terriers a seven-point lead with seven minutes to go.
Two Goudelock free throws with three minutes on the clock cut the deficit to 68-64, but Wofford sealed the game at the line by hitting 8-of-10 from the stripe the rest of the way.
Last season was Wofford's first NCAA Tournament appearance...The Terriers made 22-of-24 overall at the foul line...The Cougars shot 13-of-20 at the stripe...Goudelock had five of Charleston's 12 turnovers...Dahlman was named Most Outstanding Player of the tournament.
- WOFFORD: 77
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON: 67
Mar 7 11:11 PM
- WOFFORD: 28
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON: 32
Mar 7 9:55 PM
- WOFFORD: 0
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 7 9:10 PM
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- Qualls, Arkansas edge Wofford Mar 20
- West Regional action pits Razorbacks against Terriers Mar 19
- Dancing again: Wofford clinches bid Mar 9
- Furman battles Wofford in SoCon championship game Mar 9
- Duke makes short work of Wofford in ACC tune-up Jan 1
- Second-ranked Blue Devils take on Terriers Dec 31
- Staten, WVU crush Wofford Dec 23
- Terriers set for test with Mountaineers Dec 22
- West Virginia routs College of Charleston Nov 30
- Cougars hit road to challenge 21st-ranked Mountaineers Nov 29
- No. 17 UConn fends off Charleston Nov 20