Hampton tops Morgan State for MEAC titleMar 12, 2011 - 10:05 PM Winston-Salem, NC (Sports Network) - Brandon Tunnell had 20 points, including six in the final minute, to help Hampton capture the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference title with a 60-55 win over Morgan State.
Darrion Pellum added 12 points while Kwame Morgan II donated nine points and nine rebounds for the second-seeded Pirates (24-8), who captured their fourth trophy and first since 2006.
Dewayne Jackson had a game-high 25 points along with six rebounds for the fourth-seeded Bears (17-14), who failed in their bid for a third straight title.
The Pirates trailed to start the second half and the game remained close for the first couple of minutes. But the Bears went 8 1/2 minutes without scoring and the Pirates scored 12 points with Charles Funches' jumper giving the team a 46-37 lead with 8 1/2 minutes remaining.
Morgan State rallied with a 10-2 run to make it a one-point game on Jackson's layup, but Pellum was fouled taking a three-point shot and he hit all three from the line.
After Kevin Thompson hit two from the stripe, Pellum countered with two at the other end, and a Jackson miss preceded Tunnell putting in a layup for a six- point lead with under a minute to play.
Aric Brooks hit three free throws and, after Tunnell made two free shots, Jackson hit a three-pointer with 25 seconds left to make it a 57-55 game, but Tunnell then hit two more from the stripe.
Jackson missed a three-pointer at the other end and Funches' free throw in the final moments sealed the win.
Hampton controlled play early and held a 10-2 lead 4 1/2 minutes in on a Tunnell three-pointer.
That was the largest lead either side had in the first half and a 7-0 run from Morgan State saw the team take a 29-26 lead on a Jackson layup with 1 1/2 minutes to play. Mike Tuitt hit two free throws to close out the scoring in the half and make it a one-point game.
Hampton hit 35.6 percent of its shots while Morgan State made 30.4...Kevin Thompson had eight points and 15 rebounds for the Bears...Hampton leads the series with Morgan State, 20-10...Morgan State controlled the glass, outrebounding Hampton, 39-28.
- MORGAN STATE: 55
Mar 12 4:10 PM
- MORGAN STATE: 29
Mar 12 2:53 PM
- MORGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 12 2:05 PM
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15