Akron wins MAC crown over Kent State in OTMar 13, 2011 - 3:30 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Brett McKnight scored 15 points, including the deciding free throws with 12 seconds left in overtime, as Akron outlasted Kent State, 66-65, to take home the MAC championship.
Steve McNees totaled 14 points and Darryl Roberts had 10 for the Zips (23-12), who won the conference crown for the second time in three years.
Akron also got nine points and 13 rebounds from Zeke Marshall.
Randal Holt and Carlton Guyton both posted 14 points for the Golden Flashes (23-11), who were denied a third title in six seasons. Justin Greene added 13 points and eight boards in a losing cause.
It was a rematch of the 2008 MAC final, which Kent State won by a 74-55 count.
Guyton hit a jumper with 39 seconds left in OT to give the Golden Flashes a one-point edge, but McKnight was fouled while driving to the basket. He calmly sank his two attempts for a one-point contest, then Rodriquez Sherman missed a bucket and Holt's desperation three was swatted down by McNees in the final second.
Justin Greene sent the game to the extra session when he hit the first of two free-throw attempts with 42 seconds left in regulation.
McNees hit from beyond the arc and Akron took a 33-31 edge after 20 minutes of action.
- AKRON: 66
KENT STATE: 65
Final - OT
Mar 12 8:22 PM
- AKRON: 59
KENT STATE: 59
End of Regulation
Mar 12 8:03 PM
- AKRON: 33
KENT STATE: 31
Mar 12 6:50 PM
- AKRON: 0
KENT STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 12 6:07 PM
- Oubre shines as Kansas tops Kent St. Dec 30
- Kent State tangles with No. 13 Kansas Dec 30
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9
- Ohio edges Akron to take MAC title Mar 11
- MAC title on the line as Bobcats battle Zips Mar 10