Aztecs begin tourney with rout of Northern ColoradoMar 18, 2011 - 1:40 AM
Chase Tapley had 14 points, Billy White added 12 points and 13 rebounds, and James Rahon donated 12 points for the Aztecs (33-2), who won a game in this tournament for the first time in school history. They failed in their previous six appearances.
"Feels good not only to be here, but to win and to advance," said San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher. "Well documented this is our first NCAA post- season win. Our players don't care about that. They've only been a part of one other and they like this a whole lot better than a year ago."
San Diego State, seeded second in the West Region, will next face Temple on Saturday. The seventh-seeded Owls defeated Penn State earlier Thursday.
The Aztecs began the season with a 20-game winning streak and defeated BYU -- which had beaten San Diego State twice in the regular season -- in the Mountain West Conference Tournament title game.
Devon Beitzel posted a game-high 25 points and Chris Kaba added 10 points and six rebounds for the Bears (21-11), who were making their first appearance in the tournament.
"Can't fault our guys' effort," said Northern Colorado head coach B.J. Hill. "I thought they played extremely hard. Thought we followed the game plan for about 34 minutes tonight. Hat's off to San Diego State. They're even better in person than what they are on video."
Northern Colorado, which had the 15th seed, won the Big Sky Tournament to secure its berth.
The Aztecs carried a six-point lead into halftime and continued to play in front in the second half, but Beitzel hit a layup and followed with a three- pointer to cut the Bears' deficit to 35-32 four minutes in.
However, back-to-back three-pointers from D.J. Gay and Rahon started a 13-0 run that put San Diego State up 51-35. White's layup with eight minutes left capped the decisive rally, which allowed the Aztecs to lead by double- digits the rest of the way.
Northern Colorado took its only lead of the game 6 1/2 minutes in, on a Taylor Montgomery slam that made it 12-11, but Tapley followed with a jumper to start a 9-2 run that gave the Aztecs a 20-14 advantage with seven minutes left.
The Bears then rallied to tie the game, but San Diego State scored the following 10 points and eventually took a 30-24 lead into the break.
Montgomery finished with 12 rebounds...The Aztecs have won six of their seven games against the Bears all-time...San Diego State shot 41 percent and grabbed 45 rebounds, compared to 34 percent shooting and 33 rebounds for Northern Colorado.
- NORTHERN COLORADO: 50
SAN DIEGO STATE: 68
Mar 17 6:34 PM
- NORTHERN COLORADO: 24
SAN DIEGO STATE: 30
Mar 17 5:29 PM
- NORTHERN COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 4:47 PM
- Boise State assistant named head coach at Northern Colorado May 1
- Northern Colorado fires men's basketball coach B.J. Hill Apr 21
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22