Notre Dame downs Akron to advanceMar 18, 2011 - 10:29 PM
Ben Hansbrough had 15 points and handed out six assists, as the Fighting Irish beat the Akron Zips, 69-56, in a Southwest Region matchup.
Tim Abromaitis scored 14 points and Scott Martin added 11 with six rebounds for second-seeded Notre Dame (27-6), which lost its NCAA Tournament opener to Old Dominion in 2010 as a No. 6 seed. The Fighting Irish will next take on Florida State in the third round on Sunday.
"I'm glad we won," said Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey. "We're in that mode of surviving and advancing. I think we will address a little bit and watch some film of great offensive possessions and forced offensive possessions, because if we have too many forced ones on Sunday, we'll be done."
Quincy Diggs notched 11 points to pace the 15th-seeded Zips (23-13), who captured the Mid-American Conference's automatic bid with a 66-65 overtime victory over Kent State in the league tourney's title game.
Notre Dame led by as many as 11 before Akron trimmed its deficit to 34-30 at halftime.
The Fighting Irish opened the second half on a 9-0 run, stretching their lead to 13 on a Martin jumper. Akron made another run to close within five, at 45-40, but Notre Dame pulled away with a 14-5 surge. Abromaitis sank a pair from the foul line to put the Fighting Irish up 59-45 with just under five minutes remaining.
The outcome was never in doubt down the stretch.
"We fought back. We just couldn't put enough baskets together on a continuous basis to win," said Akron head coach Keith Dambrot.
Hansbrough shot 4-of-11 from the field...Carleton Scott finished with eight points, 14 rebounds and three blocks for Notre Dame...The Zips are winless in three appearances in the NCAA Tournament.
- AKRON: 56
NOTRE DAME: 69
Mar 18 3:46 PM
- AKRON: 30
NOTRE DAME: 34
Mar 18 2:28 PM
- AKRON: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 1:41 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17