Mayes paces No. 16 Arizona past DuquesneNov 10, 2011 - 7:16 AM Tucson, AZ (Sports Network) - Jordin Mayes scored 19 points to lead No. 16 Arizona to a 67-59 victory over Duquesne.
Jesse Perry added a double-double of 11 points and 11 rebounds, while Solomon Hill chipped in seven points, nine boards and four assists for the Wildcats (2-0).
Sean Johnson and Eric Evans paced the Dukes (0-1) with 13 points each.
Evans made a three-pointer with under seven minutes to play, pulling Duquesne within 49-48. It was the Dukes' only three-pointer of the second half.
Arizona followed with a 15-0 run to put the game away.
Mayes, who finished 4-of-7 from beyond the arc, scored eight points during the decisive run and poured in 16 points over the final 20 minutes of action, as the Wildcats opened the season with consecutive victories.
Duquesne used a trapping-style, full-court pressure defense to gain an edge in the first half.
Despite shooting just 8-of-30 from the field, the Dukes held a 30-28 edge at the break thanks to 11 Wildcats turnovers.
In the end, though, the Dukes couldn't muster enough offense, hitting just 32.8 percent of their shots and going 4-of-25 from beyond the arc.
"Down two at half is difficult, but we played to win," Arizona head coach Sean Miller said. "Jordin Mayes really stepped up tonight, and Jesse is really one of our most consistent players at this point with the double-double he had."
Perry recorded his second straight double-double...The Wildcats recorded a season-opening win over Valparaiso after suffering a surprising exhibition loss to Seattle-Pacific.
- DUQUESNE: 59
Nov 9 11:22 PM
- DUQUESNE: 30
Nov 9 10:02 PM
- DUQUESNE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 9 9:11 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12
- Gonzaga, Arizona to keep one of West's best matchups going Dec 2