No. 22 Memphis drops Jackson StateNov 29, 2011 - 6:59 AM Memphis, TN (Sports Network) - Joe Jackson totaled 15 points to send No. 22 Memphis past Jackson State, 70-45.
Chris Crawford scored 14 points and Stan Simpson added seven points, 10 rebounds and five blocks for Memphis (3-2), which recovered from an overtime loss to Georgetown in Maui.
"I thought Chris Crawford had a good game and gave us good minutes at the point. He had three assists and four steals and six boards. Stan Simpson gave us good minutes inside with 10 rebounds. His three turnovers can't happen, but he had five blocks," Memphis head coach Josh Pastner said.
Jenirro Bush had 11 points for Jackson State (1-7), which has dropped three in a row. Kelsey Howard posted seven points and six rebounds in defeat.
Having narrowly escaped the first half with a 25-19 advantage, Memphis put away the game by tallying the first 15 points.
Crawford began the run with a dunk, added a pair of three-pointers and Jackson capped the surge with a slam to make it 40-19 less than four minutes in.
The hosts increased their lead to 29 points on a Will Barton dunk for a 57-28 game with 10:25 to play, then reached a game-high 31-point spread with 3:44 to go after Antonio Barton hit a jumper to make it 68-37.
"I was feeling pretty good at halftime, but (Memphis) was obviously not feeling good about the first half with the way they came out and played the first five minutes of the second half," Jackson State head coach Tevester Anderson said.
Memphis began on an up note, taking an 11-4 edge, only to see the visitors knot the score at 13-13 on a Keeslee Stewart bucket.
Adonis Thomas began a run of eight in a row for the home Tigers with a lay-in and ended it in similar fashion with 4:18 left before halftime.
Willie Readus nailed a shot from in close and Jackson State pulled within six at the break.
Memphis scored 36 points off 23 Jackson State turnovers...Crawford recorded a game-high four steals...The victors shot 60 percent from the floor in the second half but the visitors were doomed by a 26-percent shooting performance in the opening 20 minutes.
- JACKSON STATE: 45
Nov 28 10:01 PM
- JACKSON STATE: 19
Nov 28 8:56 PM
- JACKSON STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 28 8:08 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31
- No. 11 Wichita State beats Memphis Nov 18
- Memphis opens season against No. 11 Wichita State Nov 18