No. 9 Connecticut handles Holy CrossDec 18, 2011 - 11:30 PM Connecticut to a 77-40 win over Holy Cross on Sunday.
Alex Oriakhi added 15 points, Jeremy Lamb chipped in 10 and Shabazz Napier handed out 13 assists for the Huskies (9-1), winners of four straight.
R.J. Evans led the way for the Crusaders (4-7) with 15 points.
"Every time we didn't make our offense run right, they made us pay," said Crusaders coach Milan Brown. "Every time we turned it over, they scored. That's what happens when you play someone with that level of talent."
The Crusaders held a 13-12 lead following Devin Brown's trey with 12:11 left in the first half. It would be their last.
Napier tied the game with a free throw on the Huskies' next possession and Lamb's dunk put UConn on top, 15-13.
The advantage reached double-digits on Oriakhi's layup with 4 1/2 minutes left and the Huskies closed strong, taking a 43-24 into the break.
Drummond set the tone over the opening 20 minutes, totaling 10 points on 4- of-5 shooting to go with four rebounds and a pair of blocks. Oriakhi and Lamb both added eight points, as Connecticut shot 50 percent from the field, compared to just 37 percent for Holy Cross.
The Huskies' carried the momentum into the second half, outscoring the Crusaders 34-16 to record the emphatic victory.
"We really, really got on them after that first 10 minutes," said Huskies coach Jim Calhoun. "We took it from an even game to plus 19 at halftime. And we came out of the locker room and just flew. I was really happy to see that."
In all, Connecticut limited Holy Cross to just 26.2 percent shooting, forced 17 turnovers and held a 45-38 advantage on the glass.
This was the 64th meeting between the teams. Holy Cross holds a 42-22 advantage, although Connecticut has won three straight and eight of 11 in the overall series...The Huskies went just 2-for-12 from beyond the arc. .
- HOLY CROSS: 40
Dec 18 2:44 PM
- HOLY CROSS: 24
Dec 18 1:45 PM
- HOLY CROSS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 1:05 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22
- Basketball graduation rate at UConn at 20 percent, improving Nov 4