Gators pound North FloridaNov 18, 2011 - 7:37 AM Gainesville, FL (Sports Network) - Kenny Boynton finished with 20 points and five assists, helping No. 7 Florida rout North Florida, 91-55, at the O'Connell Center.
Erving Walker added 17 points and six rebounds for the Gators (2-1), who rebounded from Tuesday's loss at Ohio State. Mike Rosario scored 15 points, while Bradley Beal ended with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
"With the one-day prep like we had, there were things we needed to correct from our last game," Florida head coach Billy Donovan said. "I was happy with the way they came out."
Parker Smith scored 17 points to pace the Ospreys (1-2), who beat Savannah State on Monday.
Boynton scored eight points in the first six minutes to help Florida get out to a 16-5 lead. Then, just past the midway point of the first half, the Gators started to pull away for good.
Rosario drilled a three-pointer and Boynton followed with a jumper for a 28-11 advantage, and Beal's layup with 3 1/2 minutes left made it a 39-19 game.
Smith followed with a three-pointer, and neither team scored during the final two-plus minutes of the first half.
But Florida opened the second period with a Walker three, and the Gators continued to pour in the points. Walker hit another three moments later to start a 16-2 run.
Boynton ended the burst with two free throws, making it a 60-28 contest and providing Florida with a comfortable lead for the final 13 1/2 minutes.
Florida made 49 percent of its shots...Smith made 2-of-11 three- pointers...North Florida committed 21 turnovers...The Gators host Wright State on Monday.
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18