No.16 Alabama tops OaklandNov 15, 2011 - 6:17 AM Tuscaloosa, AL (Sports Network) - JaMychal Green scored 18 points to lead the 16th-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide to a 74-57 victory over the Oakland Golden Grizzlies.
Trevor Releford scored 14 points, Tony Mitchell added 12 points and nine rebounds and Trevor Lacey finished with 10 points for the Crimson Tide (2-0), who have won 22 straight home games.
"Everyone stepped up, which allowed us to pull this off," Releford said. "We all played well."
Reggie Hamilton led the Golden Grizzlies (0-1) with 16 points, while Drew Valentine and Laval Lucas-Perry scored 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Oakland, which won its second straight Summit League Championship a season ago, struggled to a 41-30 halftime deficit.
Alabama was strong on the interior in the first half, grabbing eight offensive rebounds and tallying 11 second chance points.
The Crimson Tide, who opened the season with a 66-44 win over North Florida on Friday, led by as many as 23 in a dominant second half.
They reeled off a 10-0 run to take a decisive 59-41 lead with 13:03 remaining, before cruising to victory.
"Both teams came out and played pretty hard. At the end, it got away from us. Our team is going to regroup from this and learn from it, and just keep pushing forward," Hamilton said.
The Crimson Tide shot 50.9 percent from the field, while the Golden Grizzlies shot 40 percent...Mitchell was one rebound shy of his ninth career double- double.
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M Feb 9
- Alabama point guard Ingram out for season with foot injury Dec 10
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5