Mitchell leads Alabama past MarylandNov 18, 2011 - 4:23 AM San Juan, PR (Sports Network) - Tony Mitchell posted 17 points and 11 rebounds, leading 16th-ranked Alabama to a 62-42 victory over Maryland in opening-round action at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
Trevor Releford added 10 points for the Crimson Tide (3-0), who limited the Terrapins (1-1) to 27 percent shooting. Alabama has allowed an average of just 48 points per game this season.
"I'm proud of our guys tonight," said Alabama head coach Anthony Grant. "We came out with great defense. I think the numbers show that."
The Crimson Tide will face Wichita State on Friday.
James Padgett had nine points to lead Maryland, which plays Colorado on Friday. Ashton Pankey grabbed 10 rebounds.
Alabama created separation from the outset, starting the game with a 10-1 run during which Mitchell and Rodney Cooper drilled three-pointers. Mitchell drilled another three nearly nine minutes into the game to push the Crimson Tide's lead to 20-7, and Maryland never recovered.
The Terps didn't crack double-digits until Terrell Stoglin hit two free throws with 8:28 left in the first half, and they only reached 20 at the break thanks to a last-second three by Sean Mosley.
Alabama held a 36-20 advantage at halftime and, in a defensive stand reminiscent to the start of the game, held Maryland to one point for the first five minutes of the second half.
"I think we are way too selfish to be good offensively," said Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon, who also said he was proud of his team's overall effort.
The Crimson Tide's effort in the second half helped them secure the game's outcome. Releford connected on a three-pointer almost seven minutes into the half for a 43-24 advantage, and Alabama cruised to the finish.
The Crimson Tide shot 7-of-16 from three-point range and 43 percent overall...Alabama held a 47-29 advantage in rebounds.
- MARYLAND: 42
Nov 17 6:57 PM
- MARYLAND: 20
Nov 17 5:48 PM
- MARYLAND: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 17 5:03 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Top-seeded Kansas expects battle from No. 5 Maryland Mar 24
- Maryland assumes underdog role against top-seeded Kansas Mar 22
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17