No. 13 Alabama holds off VCUNov 28, 2011 - 6:06 AM Tuscaloosa, AL (Sports Network) - JaMychal Green scored 21 points and grabbed 14 rebounds, and No. 13 Alabama fended off VCU, 72-64, in a seesaw battle at Coleman Coliseum.
Tony Mitchell chipped in 13 points for the Crimson Tide (7-0), who are off to their best start since the 2006-07 season.
Bradford Burgess netted 18 points for the Rams (3-3), who were coming off consecutive wins against Western Kentucky.
"I think Alabama deserved to win tonight. They played really hard and they caused us some issues in the second half," VCU head coach Shaka Smart said.
A back-and-forth first half ended with VCU holding a 33-32 advantage, and it stayed close throughout the final 20 minutes.
VCU held a 57-54 lead with six minutes on the clock, but made just two field goals the rest of the way. Green made two free throws before Trevor Releford converted a three-point play to give the Tide the lead.
Burgess answered with a three-pointer, only to have Alabama score 10 of the next 12 points to take control. The spurt was highlighted by Green blocking a driving Treveon Graham in the lane and Trevor Lacey going coast-to-coast for a lay-in.
Mitchell, after hitting 1-of-2 free throws following a flagrant foul on Troy Daniels, made two more at the foul line to push the margin to 69-62 with 1:31 remaining.
Burgess momentarily stopped the momentum with a bucket inside, but that proved to be the Rams' last bucket.
"I think we picked it up in the second half. We were the more physical team and we brought it to them," Green said.
Anthony Grant coached VCU from 2006-09 before taking over at Alabama, which has won 24 straight at home...The Tide have won all four meetings against VCU...Juvonte Reddic and Rob Brandenberg each scored 10 points for VCU, though the latter did so on 2-of-12 shooting.
- VCU: 64
Nov 27 11:33 PM
- VCU: 33
Nov 27 10:18 PM
- VCU: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 27 9:35 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9