Johnson, Dayton upset No. 16 AlabamaDec 8, 2011 - 2:47 AM Dayton, OH (Sports Network) - Chris Johnson netted a game-high 20 points and pulled down five rebounds as Dayton upset No. 16 Alabama, 74-62, on Wednesday.
Josh Parker scored 17 points, while Kevin Dillard added 14 points, eight rebounds and six assists for the Flyers (6-3), who snapped a two-game skid. Josh Benson scored 11 points.
Tony Mitchell led the Crimson Tide (7-2) with 18 points, Trevor Releford donated 13 points and JaMychal Green added 12 points. Alabama has lost two straight after beginning the season 7-0.
The game was tied at 6-6 after three-plus minutes of action, but the Flyers used a 7-0 run over the next two minutes to take a 13-6 lead. A three-pointer by Mitchell stopped the run to make it 13-9 with 13 1/2 minutes to play in the half.
The Crimson Tide got it to four, 15-11, with 12:24 to go, but a layup by Benson put the Flyers up six.
A jumper by Dillard put Dayton up 10, 25-15, with 7 1/2 minutes left in the half and a three-pointer by Johnson with 2:07 to play gave the Flyers their largest lead of the half at 16, 38-22.
Dayton took a comfortable 38-27 lead into the locker room at halftime.
Trailing by 16 with 11:53 left in the second half, Alabama began a comeback try, using an 11-0 run over the next three-plus minutes to cut the lead to five, 56-51, with 8:25 to play. A free throw by Benson finally snapped the run and made it a six-point game.
Alabama cut it to four points, 57-53 with 7:42 left, but Dillard responded with consecutive threes for Dayton to push the lead back to 10.
Back-to-back buckets by Johnson put the Flyers up 13, 68-55, with 2:47 left and they held on for the win.
Alabama won the only previous meeting between these two teams in 1972...The Crimson Tide lost on the road for the first time this season...Dayton shot 61 percent from the floor and 53 percent from three-point range...Alabama was 4- for-16 from beyond the arc...Dayton outrebounded the Crimson Tide, 26-24...The Crimson Tide netted 38 points in the paint, to only 26 for the Flyers.
- ALABAMA: 62
Dec 7 8:57 PM
- ALABAMA: 27
Dec 7 7:47 PM
- ALABAMA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 7 7:07 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M Feb 9
- Alabama point guard Ingram out for season with foot injury Dec 10
- Alabama's Avery Johnson set for college coaching debut Nov 12