K-State topples AlabamaDec 18, 2011 - 8:28 AM
Jamar Samuels added 14 points and Angel Rodriguez contributed 13 with seven assists for Kansas State (7-1), which has won two straight.
JaMychal Green notched game-highs of 20 points and nine rebounds for the Crimson Tide (8-3), losers in three of their last four games. Trevor Releford and Tony Mitchell added 14 and 10 points, respectively, in a losing effort.
"I thought Kansas State came out tonight in the second half and did a great job of attacking our pressure," Alabama head coach Anthony Grant said. "They did a great job tonight."
Alabama controlled the early action and held a 15-8 lead with a little over nine minutes left in the first half, but Kansas State scored 12 of the next 16 points to go ahead, 20-19, on Henriquez's layup with 2:39 left before the half.
The Crimson Tide quickly took the lead back on a Trevor Lacey three-pointer, but the Wildcats ended the half on 6-2 run to take a 26-24 lead at the break.
The second half was not nearly as competitive, as Alabama made 42 percent of its shots but made just 1-of-11 attempts from beyond the arc, while Kansas State shot 63 percent from the floor, including a 2-for-3 mark from three- point range.
"Every time you play good defense it helps you on the offensive side," said Rodriguez.
After a Green three-point play put the Crimson Tide ahead, 35-34, 5:49 into the second half, the Wildcats reeled off a 13-2 run to take a 47-37 lead with 10:55 left in the game.
Alabama would not get any closer than eight for the rest of the regulation as Kansas State led by as much as 16 on two separate occasions down the final stretch.
It was the third overall meeting between the teams, with Kansas State taking the last two for a 2-1 series lead...Lacey finished the game with five points...Kansas State held a 38-30 advantage on the glass...The Wildcats' bench outscored the Crimson Tide's 35-8.
- ALABAMA: 58
KANSAS STATE: 71
Dec 18 12:13 AM
- ALABAMA: 24
KANSAS STATE: 26
Dec 17 10:57 PM
- ALABAMA: 0
KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 17 10:06 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M Feb 9
- Alabama point guard Ingram out for season with foot injury Dec 10
- Alabama's Avery Johnson set for college coaching debut Nov 12
- Alabama Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Avery Johnson stirring up excitement before Alabama debut Oct 29