Lyons paces Xavier over Morgan StateNov 12, 2011 - 3:58 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons had 22 points, seven rebounds and six assists as No. 14 Xavier took down Morgan State, 74-63, to open the regular season.
Dezmine Wells had 12 points while Kenny Frease added 10 for the Musketeers (1-0), who came into the season as the highest-ranked member of the Atlantic 10 Conference after losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last season.
"We didn't play the way we do in practice," said Xavier head coach Chris Mack. "We need to work on our free throws, we need to be more aggressive and finish possessions. Those are the things I saw without looking at the tape."
Kevin Thompson finished the game with 14 points and nine rebounds for the Bears (0-1), who finished last season with a mark of 17-14.
Morgan State held the lead early in the game and built it to a 20-10 advantage when Ian Chiles hit a basket with just over 12 minutes to play in the half.
However, nine unanswered points from Xavier got the team back into the game and Justin Martin's three-pointer gave the team a 31-30 lead with three-plus minutes left.
Wells' three-pointer near the end of the half gave the Musketeers a 40-35 lead at the break.
Xavier came out of the break scoring eight of the first nine points with Lyons' three-pointer giving the team a 48-36 lead three minutes in.
A Brad Redford three-ball with seven minutes to play extended Xavier's lead to 65-47 and it crusied from there.
Xavier hosts IUPU-Ft. Wayne on Tuesday...Xavier improved to 3-0 against Morgan State and is 16-0 against members of the MEAC all-time.
- MORGAN STATE: 63
Nov 11 9:19 PM
- MORGAN STATE: 35
Nov 11 7:59 PM
- MORGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 11 7:07 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Arizona pulls away from Xavier to set up Elite Eight rematch Mar 27
- Arizona and Xavier collide in Sweet 16 Mar 26