Saint Joseph's takes down No. 19 CreightonDec 10, 2011 - 8:43 PM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Carl Jones dropped a game-high 29 points to go with five rebounds and five assists as the St. Joseph's Hawks knocked off No. 19 Creighton, 80-71, on Saturday.
Ronald Roberts had 12 points and six rebounds, while Langston Galloway also scored 12 points for the Hawks (7-3), who have won two straight since losing to American University on December 4.
C.J. Aiken finished with 11 points and three blocks and Halil Kanacevic ended his day with six points and 12 boards.
Doug McDermott finished with 26 points and 10 rebounds for the Bluejays (7-1). Antoine Young had 15 points and Gregory Echenique netted 10 points and grabbed five rebounds.
The game was back-and-forth early as Creighton held a slim 7-6 three minutes into the game. The Bluejays then used an 8-1 spurt to take a 15-7 edge, before Aiken sank a jumper to stop the run and make it 15-9.
Saint Joe's used an 11-0 run later in the half to take a 28-20 lead with just over six minutes to play in the first half, before McDermott made a three-pointer to stop the run and cut the Hawks' lead to 28-23.
It remained close the rest of the half and the Hawks took a 35-30 lead into the locker room.
The Hawks shot 42 percent from the floor in the opening 20 minutes, while the Bluejays shot 34 percent.
Echenique scored the first six points of the second half to make it a one- point game and Jahenns Manigat drained a three-pointer with 13:36 to play to knot the game at 39.
Saint Joe's then ran off a 12-2 run to jump out to a 51-41 lead, before Young made a three-pointer to stop the run and make it 51-44.
A layup by McDermott pulled Creighton within three, 53-50, with 7:21 to go, but the Hawks responded with a 10-2 run to go up 63-52. A layup by Grant Gibbs with 4 1/2 minutes to play stopped the run and cut the Hawks' lead to nine.
But Saint Joe's was perfect from the foul line in the final two minutes to seal the victory.
Saint Joe's leads the all-time series with Creighton, 5-4...The Hawks improved to 4-0 at home this season...Young became the 35th player in Creighton basketball history to amass 1000 career points...The Hawks dominated inside, scoring 46 points in the paint to only 32 for Creighton...St. Joe's outrebounded the Bluejays, 40-28...St. Joe's shot 19-of-29 from the charity stripe, while Creighton earned only nine free throws, making six of them...Creighton University President Timothy R. Lannon was inducted into the Saint Joseph's University Athletics Hall of Fame at halftime. Lannon served as SJU's president from 2003-011 before returning to his alma mater in July.
- CREIGHTON: 71
ST. JOSEPH'S: 80
Dec 10 2:07 PM
- CREIGHTON: 30
ST. JOSEPH'S: 35
Dec 10 12:52 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
ST. JOSEPH'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 10 12:05 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3