Green helps Spartans down BulldogsDec 11, 2011 - 5:56 AM Gonzaga, 74-67, at McCarthey Athletic Center.
Keith Appling added eight points and seven assists for the Spartans (8-2), who won their eighth straight game.
"We're making progress and that's what you hope to do as a basketball team," Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo said. "We've got a long way to go, trust me."
David Stockton led Gonzaga (5-2) with 19 points, while Robert Sacre added 16 with seven rebounds in the Bulldogs' second consecutive defeat.
The first half was closely contested, as the largest lead was a seven-point, 31-24, advantage by Michigan State with less than three minutes remaining.
But Sacre went 6-for-6 from the free-throw line before a Stockton three- pointer and foul shot brought Gonzaga within 35-34 at the break.
The second half belonged to the Spartans, as they shot 60 percent from the floor while holding the Bulldogs to 42 percent shooting.
A couple of Mike Hart free throws gave the Bulldogs a 38-37 lead early in the second before Green sank a trey to put Michigan State ahead for good.
That three-pointer started a 14-3 Michigan State run in which Green scored 10 points to stretch the Spartans' lead to 51-41.
Michigan State led by as much as 14 in the half before Gonzaga tried to battle back near the end, but the Bulldogs would not get any closer than five points. The Spartans made their free throws down the stretch to hold on.
"It was a tough game. Michigan State is really, really good," Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said. "They did a great job of executing and finishing plays."
Hart's free throws were the only points he scored in the game...Gonzaga held the edge in rebounding, 28-25...Michigan State made 16-of-25 free throws, while Gonzaga made 22-of-28 attempts.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 74
Dec 10 11:16 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 35
Dec 10 9:56 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 10 9:09 PM
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis declares for NBA draft Apr 7
- Timeline: NCAA calls Zags coach to admit officiating error Apr 1
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Gonzaga loses 63-60 to Syracuse in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Coach Mark Few wants Gonzaga to keep chip on its shoulder Mar 23
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Wiltjer helps deliver Gonzaga back to Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18