Michigan State holds off Bowling GreenDec 18, 2011 - 9:07 AM East Lansing, MI (Sports Network) - Brandon Wood scored 16 points, while Derrick Nix recorded 14 points and seven rebounds as No. 21 Michigan State overcame a sluggish first half to down Bowling Green, 74-60.
Draymond Green had a double-double with 12 points and 10 boards for the Spartans (9-2), who have won nine straight games.
Jehvon Clarke scored 14 points for Bowling Green (5-5), which has lost three of four.
With Bowling Green down just 35-33 at the half, A'uston Calhoun made a layup to tie the score early in the second half, but the Spartans responded with an 11-0 run to take a 46-35 lead. Branden Dawson had six points during the spurt.
Michigan State then took its largest lead, 66-49, after a Green layup with seven minutes to go. The Falcons, though, responded with a 9-2 run to make it a 10-point game, 68-58, with 4:47 left.
But the Falcons couldn't muster another rally and the Spartans hung on for the win.
"This was one of those games where the ball wasn't really dropping for us," Bowling Green head coach Louis Orr said.
Bowling Green jumped out to an early 13-10 lead, but the Spartans responded with a 7-0 spurt capped by a Payne jumper to give Michigan State a 17-13 advantage with 11:11 to go in the opening half.
It was a back-and-forth affair for the rest of the stanza and Nix converted a pair from the line with two seconds to go in the half to give the Spartans a 35-33 lead after the opening 20 minutes.
Dawson finished with 13 points and four rebounds...Calhoun scored 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds...Bowling Green hit on just 4-of-16 from three- point range and shot 37.5 percent from the field.
- BOWLING GREEN: 60
MICHIGAN STATE: 74
Dec 17 9:04 PM
- BOWLING GREEN: 33
MICHIGAN STATE: 35
Dec 17 7:51 PM
- BOWLING GREEN: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 17 7:08 PM
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Ex-basketball star Mateen Cleaves charged with sex assault Mar 15
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15
- Michigan State's Tom Izzo may have a day beyond his dreams Mar 14
- Forbes has proven to be pivotal player for No. 2 Michigan St Mar 7
- Denzel Valentine draws comparisons to Michigan State greats Mar 4
- Michigan State's Kenny Goins out 2-4 weeks with knee injury Feb 16