Green guides Michigan State past IowaJan 11, 2012 - 4:08 AM East Lansing, MI (Sports Network) - Draymond Green had 22 points, nine rebounds, five assists and three steals, as the sixth-ranked Michigan State Spartans recorded their 15th straight victory with a 95-61 decision over the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Keith Appling added 15 points and nine assists for the Spartans (15-2, 4-0 Big Ten), who have won 17 in a row against Iowa in East Lansing. Brandon Wood donated 12 points.
This is MSU's longest single-season win streak since a 22-game streak during the 1998-99 season.
"I don't think Iowa played as well as I've seen on film," said MSU head coach Tom Izzo. "On the other side, I felt we played about as well as we could in the first half. It wasn't a normal game. They've been playing really well, but it was just one of those things."
Aaron White ended with 15 points for the Hawkeyes (10-8, 2-3), who have dropped two straight. Roy Devyn Marble tallied 12 points and eight boards.
Michigan State scored the first points of the game and never looked back. With the score tied at two, Wood tallied five points during an 8-0 run to give the home team a 10-2 lead.
Ahead by eight, 30-22, with 7 1/2 minutes left in the first half, the Spartans put together a 16-2 burst to take a 46-24 margin at the break.
Michigan State cruised to victory in the second half.
"We have Michigan coming up," said White. "In this league you can't dwell on losses even after a performance like this. We have to turn it right around and get back to work."
The Spartans lead the all-time series by a count of 65-53, with MSU taking 42 of the 59 matchups played in East Lansing over the years...The Spartans improved to 11-0 at home this season...Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery was given a technical foul in the second half. He proceeded to slam a chair against the ground during an ensuing timeout...MSU shot 61.7 percent from the field, including a 10-fo-18 performance from beyond the arc.
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17