Spartans right ship, rout PurdueJan 21, 2012 - 7:54 PM Purdue on Saturday.
Austin Thornton added 11 points and Keith Appling scored 10 for the Spartans (16-4, 5-2 Big Ten), who were coming off losses to Northwestern last Saturday and Michigan in a thriller on Tuesday.
They were hardly tested in this one by a Boilermakers team that endured a canceled flight Friday night because of winter weather and a long bus ride to the Breslin Center in the morning.
Purdue (14-6, 4-3) got just two points from leading scorer Robbie Hummel, who went 0-for-11 from the field to finish 14 points below his season average. John Hart and Lewis Jackson scored 10 points apiece in the loss.
Arriving just hours before tipoff, Purdue never looked in sync against a Michigan State team hungry for a win.
The Boilermakers missed eight of their nine three-pointers and shot just 25 percent in the first half, falling behind 31-24 at the break. The seven-point deficit proved too big to overcome as Michigan State poured it on in the second half.
The Spartans, after shooting better than 57 percent in the first half, pushed their lead to double digits in the initial two-plus minutes of the second half and it remained there the rest of the game.
It reached 20 for the first time with around 11 minutes remaining when Brandan Kearney's three-pointer made it 52-32. Later, Michigan State's lead ballooned as high as 30 on two different occasions.
The Spartans have won 18 of the last 28 meetings between the teams, although Purdue still leads the all-time series 65-47.
Hummel entered the game averaging 16.1 points...Purdue shot 29 percent to Michigan State's 60 percent...The Boilermakers will face Michigan on Tuesday, while the Spartans play Minnesota on Wednesday.
- PURDUE: 58
MICHIGAN STATE: 83
Jan 21 2:00 PM
- PURDUE: 24
MICHIGAN STATE: 31
Jan 21 12:46 PM
- PURDUE: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 21 12:04 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15