Green's big game helps Michigan State down PurdueFeb 19, 2012 - 9:00 PM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - Draymond Green exploded for 20 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists, and No. 7 Michigan State defeated Purdue, 76- 62, on Sunday.
Branden Dawson also had a double-double with 15 points to go with 11 boards for the Spartans (22-5, 11-3 Big Ten), who have won five straight. Austin Thornton netted 17 points and Derrick Nix rounded out MSU's double-digit scorers with 12.
Robbie Hummel paced all scorers with 24 points and added a game-high 15 rebounds for the Boilermakers (17-10, 7-7 Big Ten), who had a two-game winning streak snapped. Lewis Jackson contributed 15 points in defeat.
Michigan State shot 50.8 percent (30-of-59) from the field, while holding Purdue to a 33.8 percent (22-of-65) clip, including an abysmal 8-of-35 in the second half.
After a tightly contested first half that finished with the Boilermakers on top by three, the Spartans scored the first eight points of the second half and 20 of the first 26 while holding Purdue to 1- of-19 from the floor en route to a 55-44 edge at the halfway mark of the period.
After MSU went up 16, Purdue finally found their touch, rolling off an 8-0 spurt to cut their deficit in half.
But Michigan State held firm, refusing to allow the Boilermakers to get any closer.
Hummel carried Purdue through an intense and very physical first half, scoring 18 points, pulling down six boards, dishing out two assists and blocking two shots while playing all 20 minutes. The Boilermakers led 38-35 at intermission.
Purdue played without Kelsey Barlow and D.J. Byrd following an incident at a bar Friday night...Michigan State has won three consecutive games in the series. Purdue leads 65-48 overall...Hummel fouled out with 35 seconds remaining...The lead changed 12 times, 11 of which occurred in the first half. There were five ties...MSU outscored Purdue 36-12 in the paint.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 76
Feb 19 3:04 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 35
Feb 19 1:50 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 1:01 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15