UNLV downs Air ForceFeb 26, 2012 - 12:42 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Chace Stanback drained five three-pointers en route to a game-high 21 points to go with eight rebounds as No. 21 UNLV topped Air Force, 68-58, at Thomas & Mack Center on Saturday.
Anthony Marshall netted 15 points and pulled down six rebounds, while Justin Hawkins donated 11 points for the Runnin' Rebels (24-6, 8-4 MWC), who have won two straight games. Mike Moser had a big day on the glass, pulling down 11 rebounds to go with seven points.
Michael Lyons paced the Falcons (13-13, 3-9) with 18 points and seven rebounds, while Kyle Green finished with 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting. Taylor Broekhuis contributed eight points, six rebounds and four assists in defeat.
UNLV roared out of the gate with an 18-4 run, before Todd Fletcher and Green drained consecutive three-pointers and Lyons put home a jumper to pull the Falcons within six with just over eight minutes to play in the opening half.
Stanback drilled a three following a Rebels timeout and Oscar Bellfield dropped in a three-ball out of a media timeout to push the UNLV lead back to 12 with under eight minutes to go.
A pair of free throws by Marshall extended the lead to 20 and the Rebels took a comfortable 37-23 advantage into the locker room.
UNLV shot just 38 percent from the floor in the first half, but was bolstered by six threes, while Air Force shot just 36 percent in the opening 20 minutes.
Air Force played much better in the second half, shooting 50 percent from the floor and outscoring UNLV, 35-31 in the latter 20 minutes, but they could never get the deficit below 10.
UNLV improved to 16-0 at home this season...The Rebels are ahead of Air Force by a 28-8 margin in the all-time series between the teams...The Runnin' Rebels have won eight of their last 11 games and 15 of 19...UNLV is 20-2 this season when it either has a halftime lead or is tied at the half...Both teams turned the ball over 21 times, but UNLV turned the Air Force blunders into 21 points, while the Falcons only managed 13 points off turnovers...The Rebels outrebounded Air Force, 40-30.
- AIR FORCE: 58
Feb 25 6:02 PM
- AIR FORCE: 23
Feb 25 4:53 PM
- AIR FORCE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 25 4:05 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Air Force downs Western State Colorado 86-66 Dec 29