Vanderbilt bounces back, tops BucknellNov 16, 2011 - 4:47 AM Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - Jeffery Taylor led a balanced scoring attack with 14 points, as No. 18 Vanderbilt bounced back from an unlikely loss with an 80-68 victory over Bucknell.
The Commodores (2-1), coming off a home loss to Cleveland State on Sunday, got 12 points apiece from Lance Goulbourne, Brad Tinsley and Kedren Johnson.
John Jenkins did not play in the rout due to an ankle injury, but Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings said he will be available to play against North Carolina State on Saturday.
"I'm really proud of our team given what we were up against and the fact that we were playing a really good team. We were also coming off a loss at home, and that adds to it. There is lots of added pressure when the team is as good as Bucknell is," Stallings said.
Joe Willman netted 17 points to pace the Bison (0-2), who opened their season last week with a loss at Minnesota.
"We will take the areas illuminated in our first two games, the problem areas, and address them. As long as we understand that the season is a marathon and not a sprint, we'll be OK," Bucknell head coach Dave Paulsen said.
A tight first half featuring 10 lead changes and four ties ended with Vanderbilt holding a slim 27-26 lead, but the Commodores began to pull away early in the second stanza with a 12-2 run.
Tinsley made two three-pointers during the pivotal stretch, and Johnson's three-ball near the midway point pushed the lead to 58-40.
The Bison never pulled within single digits in the final 10 minutes.
This marked the first-ever meeting between the programs...Rod Odom chipped in 10 points off the bench for Vandy, which scored eight fastbreak points...Bucknell did not score in transition...Joshea Singleton netted 12 points for the Bison.
- BUCKNELL: 68
Nov 15 9:51 PM
- BUCKNELL: 26
Nov 15 8:44 PM
- BUCKNELL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 15 8:01 PM
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29
- Big swing: Stumbling Vanderbilt revives NCAA tourney hopes Feb 25
- No. 21 Vanderbilt blows 16-point lead, loses 72-67 to Dayton Dec 10
- Vanderbilt junior Luke Kornet out 4-6 weeks with torn MCL Dec 9